Monday, July 19, 2010

What I Mean By Unfiltered.

I happen to think when I turn on the TV to specific channels or listen to internet radio, I get press releases and not much real reporting or opinion.

How many knew that Jim Tafel was the victim of the Financial Crisis? How many knew Greg Loles was a criminal? These things directly impact the show you watch, the races.

For example, there is really only one strong Porsche GT team in ALMS GT Competition. That would be Flying Lizard. I thought winning the manufactures championship was the most important thing in this series to these companies? Porsche funded a three car effort in 2008 for Flying Lizard because so many loyal Porsche customer teams switched to the Ferrari F430, including Tafel Racing. I call that "damage control". Come 2010 and with Extreme Motorsports improving and Risi adding a second full time car to the series, Porsche I personally think is in big trouble.

How come this isn't talked about in the media? We have a fierce Manufacturer's Championship, Driver's Championship and Team Championship in GT and all they can talk about on Speed is NASCAR?

I think most of the problem is we don't see much of the GT action. The cameras almost always cut away from the action in GT to go back to the LMP leader who's got a 20 second lead. For as much money as Ferrari, Shell, BMW, GM, Porsche and Falken Tire are dumping into this series, I think they would welcome more media coverage.

Who's fault is this? How come Wheeler TV who handles much of the production of the ALMS broadcast always escape scrutiny?

Most shows spend too much time telling you everything is okay in Motorsports. How come when almost every diehard fan of Indycar is howling about the recent announcement of new car in 2012 when its not much different than the current car? No coverage on ESPN? Does Indycar read all the different forum postings and blogs?

My guess is maybe, but judging by how most series run their programs, they certainly are not listening or taking your concerns seriously.

On top of all of that is the economy. How come Racing is more impacted by recessions than the other sports? That's never talked about!

I am a Fan! I'm tired of not being taken seriously as a fan. Most series figure you're stupid and have no idea what your talking about and you'll continue to watch whatever series is your favorite because you have no other choice.

That's what this blog is about and that's what my forthcoming show will be about, I'm tired of it.

There is no reason we can't be just as critical of Racing Teams, Racing Series and Team Owners as we are of the NFL, NBA or MLB.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Comments